02 June 2011

Life: Nature's Way

by Stephanie F. Earls


I have a small wildflower/perennial garden in my backyard which year after year comes back heartier and more lush than I remember, despite my inconsistencies in caring for it. Yesterday I realized I'd never cleaned out the fall debris that settled under snow in the garden: old leaves, dead stems, grass. And it had started to become crowded with weeds and overzealous flowers that were hogging the space. It seemed out of control. So I took to the garden and gave it some attention.

The new foliage disguised the depth of dead crap at the base of each plant. The mess was compounded by weeds and clover that were overtaking much of the garden. As I started to weed and lift the "crap" out with my hands I was overwhelmed by how much of this damp, dead stuff was sitting there, and in awe that the flowers did not suffocate.  With each space cleared I appreciated that regardless of the mess, this garden burst through into life. Nothing short of a miracle.  And just nature's way: life.


Nature is resilient. Nothing will stop life from pushing through and making its way to do what it is supposed to do this time of year: bloom.  Growth did not stop because I forgot to make room in the fall. The plants did not cling to their old stems even though I left them there.  There was no debate on growing or becoming stagnant. The garden just kept living and even started to turn the "dead" stuff into new nutrients. 

With it cleaned out it stands a little brighter, seems lighter. It's easier to see and appreciate each flower for itself instead of the wild mess it was becoming.  I am not sure it matters to nature. Perhaps I helped it along, but nature found its own way long before I came on the scene. It's a good reminder.  Some say let nature take its course. Like everything else, maybe just find a balance, a little cooperation, a little co-creation between ourselves and nature.

We grow with the same miracle in us, with a drive toward life, toward rebirth, toward finding our way through crap even when it's literally blocking our way, toward turning death, staleness and overgrowth into a chance to nourish ourselves.

When things feel like they are out of control or covered in crap, think of a garden, of nature. Remember life will find its way.  And if we want to help it along, we can bring it our attention. We can clean out the old so we have room to breathe. We can weed out the things that are overwhelming us so we have some space to see clearly.  We can nourish ourselves. We can choose life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment